One of the world’s most accomplished competitive gamers has been forced into an early retirement due to a debilitating wrist injury, according to an open letter to his teammates.
Hai Lam stepped down as captain of Cloud9, a team of competitive gamers who regularly sweep the competition in the League of Legends gaming circuit. Lam wrote that the criticism from fans, while painful, did not affect his decision to step down so much as the concern of his fellow teammates.
“Over time, my teammates started to lose confidence in my abilities as a player and a shotcaller,” Lam wrote in a letter posted to his team’s official blog, first spotted by EndGadget. “That’s what really hit me hard,” he added.
But like most retired athletes, Lam will take a role in management, helping to recruit new talent to Cloud9 and building out branding partnerships.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time