One of the world’s most accomplished competitive gamers has been forced into an early retirement due to a debilitating wrist injury, according to an open letter to his teammates.
Hai Lam stepped down as captain of Cloud9, a team of competitive gamers who regularly sweep the competition in the League of Legends gaming circuit. Lam wrote that the criticism from fans, while painful, did not affect his decision to step down so much as the concern of his fellow teammates.
“Over time, my teammates started to lose confidence in my abilities as a player and a shotcaller,” Lam wrote in a letter posted to his team’s official blog, first spotted by EndGadget. “That’s what really hit me hard,” he added.
But like most retired athletes, Lam will take a role in management, helping to recruit new talent to Cloud9 and building out branding partnerships.
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive