F8 was, in fact, fate: An eighth movie in the Fast and Furious franchise is now set for release April 14, 2017.
Star Vin Diesel made the announcement during Universal’s CinemaCon presentation in Las Vegas Thursday.
Titled Furious 8, the film will arrive as a follow-up to this month’s Furious 7, directed by James Wan. Since its April 3 opening, the most recent sequel has grossed more than $1 billion worldwide (it crossed the coveted threshold in a mere 17 days).
Furious 8 will be the first in the series to be fully shot and released after the death of co-star Paul Walker, and Diesel paid tribute to his late friend from the CinemaCon stage.
“I swear to you and to my brother upstairs [Walker], we are going to make the best movie you’ve ever seen,” Diesel said during Universal’s presentation.
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time