Some Apple Watch customers who girded themselves for months of waiting are getting a surprise update to their orders this week: The delivery status changed from “processing” to “preparing for shipment.”
“We’re happy to be updating many customers today with the news that their Apple Watch will arrive sooner than expected,” an Apple spokesperson confirmed in a statement to BuzzFeed News.
The spokesperson did not elaborate on how many customers would be on the receiving end of these surprise deliveries, only adding that orders would be fulfilled based on “available supply.”
The announcement comes as pockets of supply have cropped up in a few channels outside of Apple’s retail stores. A handful of fashion boutiques participating in the launch of the Apple Watch have advertised that stocks would be available in store as early as Friday, the New York Times reports. Meanwhile, some Apple Watch iOS developers recently got exclusive access to a spare supply of blue Apple Sport Watches, guaranteed to ship by April 28. The announcements underscore that for Apple and its customers alike, available supply is a moving target.
These Apple Watch Accessories Might Be Cooler Than the Apple Watch Itself
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org