Some Apple Watch customers who girded themselves for months of waiting are getting a surprise update to their orders this week: The delivery status changed from “processing” to “preparing for shipment.”
“We’re happy to be updating many customers today with the news that their Apple Watch will arrive sooner than expected,” an Apple spokesperson confirmed in a statement to BuzzFeed News.
The spokesperson did not elaborate on how many customers would be on the receiving end of these surprise deliveries, only adding that orders would be fulfilled based on “available supply.”
The announcement comes as pockets of supply have cropped up in a few channels outside of Apple’s retail stores. A handful of fashion boutiques participating in the launch of the Apple Watch have advertised that stocks would be available in store as early as Friday, the New York Times reports. Meanwhile, some Apple Watch iOS developers recently got exclusive access to a spare supply of blue Apple Sport Watches, guaranteed to ship by April 28. The announcements underscore that for Apple and its customers alike, available supply is a moving target.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating