Vine and YouTube celebrity Cameron Dallas released his debut single “She Bad” on Sunday, and overnight his rabid fan base spurred a viral hashtag campaign to get the song to No. 1 on the iTunes charts.
The hashtag #SheBadToNumberOne was the top U.S. trend on Twitter for much of Monday’s early hours after Dallas posted the song, which was released in conjunction with iHeart Radio.
Much like singer-songwriter Shawn Mendes, Dallas has used his significant social-media presence to jump-start a legitimate career. According to Variety, when he starred in a feature movie titled Expelled, the film hit No. 1 on the iTunes download charts upon its release.
- Why House Democrats Refused to Save McCarthy
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Self-Silencing Is Making Women Sick: Essay
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time