On a scale of 1-10, how excited are you for Katie’s new addition?
For the uninitiated, that’s not our endearing nickname for Princess Kate – Prince George would be so displeased – as she nears the end of her pregnancy. Rather, Katie, a reticulated giraffe residing at the Dallas Zoo, is due to give birth any day now, and you can watch the circle of life unfold in all its glory right from your own computer, as Mother Nature intended.
Animal Planet teamed up with the zoo to stream the calf countdown via live-cam (watch below) with a 24/7 view of the giraffe’s indoor facilities thanks to eight cameras. Night-vision cameras mean you won’t miss a thing, which is completely necessary, based on the past mesmerizing hour we spent watching Katie snack and pace her pen contemplating motherhood (we’re taking some creative liberties with that last part).
There’s no telling exactly when she’ll welcome her little one, but we think your boss will understand if you keep this cam minimized at all times just in case. (Warning: giraffe births can be graphic; Animal Planet will also air a real-time birth special.)
Katie is one of about 4,700 of her kind, down from an estimated 31,000 in 1998, according to the Giraffe Conservation Foundation. That’s all the more reason to get excited about her birth, in addition to the wardrobe full of giraffe onesies we’re sure Katie stocked up on.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time