NSA leaker Edward Snowden says his disclosure of government surveillance activities have been vindicated by American awareness of the issue. John Oliver says, eh, not so much.
“I think we’re seeing something amazing, which is that if you ask the American people to make tough decisions to confront tough issues to think about hard problems, they’ll actually surprise you,” Snowden said in an interview with Oliver in Russia for Last Week Tonight.
“OK, here’s the problem,” Oliver responds. “I did ask some Americans, and boy, did it surprise me.” He went on to play clips of Americans befuddled by questions about who Snowden is.
Oliver also talked to Snowden about your naked pictures. Watch the full segment below:
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State