A 10-year-old boy jumped to his death from a second-story window at his school last month after his chess opponent took his king without saying “checkmate.”
The fifth-grader at Grant Elementary School in New Jersey jumped “headfirst, unforced, unassisted and of his own accord,” said Police Chief Joseph Faulborn Jr., who spoke as the police report was released Wednesday, The Record reports.
The lunch aide who turned to see the boy jump remembered hearing him say to his opponent earlier, “Do you want me to do something drastic?”
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow