Microsoft released paper-scanning app Office Lens for iPhones and Android on Friday, opening one of its most popular apps to a wider world of mobile devices. Office Lens was previously available only on Windows Phone devices.
Office Lens uses a smartphone camera to scan business cards, sticky notes, white boards, or anything else written in real-world ink before converting them into electronic files that can be saved to the cloud or shared over email.
It works its neatest trick on printed documents. The app uses optical character recognition to upload text to a Word document for easy editing and keyword searches. It can also import business card text into your phone’s contact list.
The app has proved popular among Windows Phone users, a tiny 3% sliver of all mobile phone users. It’s now available to the other 97% for free in the iTunes store and in preview mode for Android users.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.