The stars of Woody Allen’s Blue Jasmine have responded to the open letter penned by the director’s adopted daughter, Dylan Farrow, in which she details claims that Allen sexually assaulted her when she was 7 years old.
In one of the letter’s more powerful moments, Farrow asks several actors who’ve worked with and supported Allen about how they would respond if the abuse had personally affected them: “What if it had been your child, Cate Blanchett? Louis CK? Alec Baldwin? What if it had been you, Emma Stone? Or you, Scarlett Johansson? You knew me when I was a little girl, Diane Keaton. Have you forgotten me?”
Now, two of those actors have acknowledged the letter. At the Santa Barbara International Film Festival on Saturday, journalist Jeffrey Wells asked Blanchett if she had any response to the letter. Blanchett, who has been nominated for an Academy Award her role in Blue Jasmine, simply commented, “It’s obviously been a long and painful situation for the family and I hope they find some sort of resolution and peace.”
As for Baldwin, he had a somewhat harsher response to the growing controversy. “What the f&@% is wrong w u that u think we all need to b commenting on this family’s personal struggle?” he tweeted Sunday. “So you know who’s guilty? Who’s lying? You, personally, know that?” he continued, adding: “You are mistaken if you think there is a place for me, or any outsider, in this family’s issue.” He later deleted his responses.
Allen, who has always denied claims of sexual abuse, responded, via lawyers, by saying that he was not responsible for “Dylan’s distress.”
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement