Disturbing photos of a teen beaten at a Georgia prison — apparently captured on an inmate’s cellphone — made it onto Facebook before corrections officials even knew he had been hurt, the victim’s family told NBC News on Wednesday.
Cortez Berry was assaulted at the Al Burruss Correctional Training Center in Forsyth in what his family says was an gang attack. The assailants apparently posted cellphone pictures to Facebook showing Berry crouched below two shirtless young men, his eye swollen shut and his neck threaded through a makeshift leash.
After seeing the pictures online, his relatives say they made panicked calls to the facility…
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow