These fresh takes on wainscoting, tile, flooring, and more make it easy to trade up to one-of-a-kind style.
Create an accent wall with tile in a warm neutral color, like this soothing gray. Taking the tile all the way up to the ceiling will make the room appear taller.
Similar to shown: U.S. Ceramic Tile in Tender Gray Matte, about $30 for a box of 80 tiles; The Home Depot
Forgo pricey shades and dress up a window with painted shutters instead. Louvered-on-top designs like the ones here offer privacy without blocking light, and the adjustable slats let you direct the sun’s rays.
Similar to shown: Check out etsy.com for salvaged shutters, starting at about $25 each.
Add some variety underfoot by combining textures—in this case, wood planks and pebble tile—for an unexpected twist that brings the great outdoors inside.
Similar to shown: Polished wine pebble tile, about $12 per square foot; Strata Stones
Give the ceiling a lift by covering it in beadboard and extending it down the walls a bit for a canopy effect. Paint it a tranquil shade of sky blue to evoke the porch ceilings of yore.
Add a curvy console towel rail and gleaming chrome legs to a wall-mount basin—or even swap out a pedestal base—for a style and storage boost.
Similar to shown: American Standard Console Leg Set in chrome, about $330; The Home Depot
More from This Old House:
- A Bright Bathtime Oasis for Kids
- 28 Small Steps to Big Savings
- Quick and Easy Paint Upgrades for Furniture
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating