These fresh takes on wainscoting, tile, flooring, and more make it easy to trade up to one-of-a-kind style.
Create an accent wall with tile in a warm neutral color, like this soothing gray. Taking the tile all the way up to the ceiling will make the room appear taller.
Similar to shown: U.S. Ceramic Tile in Tender Gray Matte, about $30 for a box of 80 tiles; The Home Depot
Forgo pricey shades and dress up a window with painted shutters instead. Louvered-on-top designs like the ones here offer privacy without blocking light, and the adjustable slats let you direct the sun’s rays.
Similar to shown: Check out etsy.com for salvaged shutters, starting at about $25 each.
Add some variety underfoot by combining textures—in this case, wood planks and pebble tile—for an unexpected twist that brings the great outdoors inside.
Similar to shown: Polished wine pebble tile, about $12 per square foot; Strata Stones
Give the ceiling a lift by covering it in beadboard and extending it down the walls a bit for a canopy effect. Paint it a tranquil shade of sky blue to evoke the porch ceilings of yore.
Add a curvy console towel rail and gleaming chrome legs to a wall-mount basin—or even swap out a pedestal base—for a style and storage boost.
Similar to shown: American Standard Console Leg Set in chrome, about $330; The Home Depot
More from This Old House:
- A Bright Bathtime Oasis for Kids
- 28 Small Steps to Big Savings
- Quick and Easy Paint Upgrades for Furniture
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time