Naturally happy people unconsciously engage in:
- Social comparison (or the lack thereof)
- Retrospective judgment
Even if you’re not a naturally happy person you can use these techniques to increase positive feelings.
So what the heck do those fancy words mean and how can we leverage them?
1) “Social comparison” means don’t compare yourself to others:
Or only compare yourself to those worse off than you:
2) “Retrospective judgment” means reevaluating events and putting a positive spin on them:
This is very effective with the minor problems of everyday life:
Join over 175,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve