Investments in the ride-sharing firm Lyft have valued the company founded three years ago at roughly $2.5 billion.
Lyft raised $530 million in its latest round of funding, including $300 million from Japanese online retailer Rakuten Inc., as it looks to continue expanding, Reuters reports.
But the private company still lags behind Uber, the largest startup in the U.S, which has also rapidly expanded abroad. Uber is valued at around $40 billion.
Read next: Uber, Lyft Lawsuits Could Spell Trouble For the On-Demand Economy
See Uber Protests From Around the World
Listen to the most important stories of the day.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time