Kanye West has a song called “I Am a God” and named his last album Yeezus, but the rapper with the notorious ego isn’t rapping about himself on the just-surfaced track “Awesome.” (Okay, he does call himself awesome at least a few times.) Instead, the song sounds like a sappy, heavily Auto-Tuned ode to wife Kim Kardashian with lines like, “You look too good to be at work / You feel too good to ever hurt.”
It’s unclear if the song is intended for the rapper’s upcoming LP, So Help Me God, or just your standard music industry leak, but the track must have been sitting around on a hard drive for months. West first performed the track at the Met Ball about two years ago, but an apparent studio version it just surfaced online Wednesday. The droning ballad, like the recent far more awesome “All Day,” doesn’t exactly sound like the “cookout music” West once promised. But then again, when your wife is Kim Kardashian, your family cookouts probably look a lot different from most people’s.
Hear “Awesome” below:
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This