An Amtrak train derailed Monday in Halifax County, North Carolina, toppling one of its cars and injuring at least 55 people.
The train’s conductor and at least 54 passengers were among the injured, the Associated Press reported. Of those taken to the hospital following the accident, one was seriously injured while the rest escaped with non-life threatening injuries, according to officials.
Federal authorities said they believed 62 people were injured, but there was no confirmation on the final number.
The train, which was traveling from Charlotte to New York City, hit a tractor trailer causing the train’s engine and baggage car to derail.
“There was a massive jerk and we were kind of thrown forward a little bit, and the train came to a sudden stop,” a passenger told local news station WRAL. “I couldn’t tell you if it was trying to slow down or not. There was no whistle. It came completely out of the blue.”
The crash occurred at the intersection of U.S. Highway 301 and N.C. Highway 903. There were 212 passengers and eight crew members on board.
“We are relieved that there are no fatalities reported at this time, and our thoughts and prayers are with those who were injured. Safety is always our top priority, and we continue to urge everyone to use extreme caution and stay alert when crossing our railroad tracks,” North Carolina Transportation Secretary Tony Tata said in a statement.
170 passengers were transported by bus to Richmond, Virginia in order to board another train, the state’s Transportation Department spokesman Mike Charbonneau said.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart