John Oliver tackled the most pressing question of the day on Sunday’s episode of Last Week Tonight: How is Daylight Saving Time still a thing?
Everyone seems to blame the existence of Daylight Saving Time on the farmers. But that blame is misplaced, because as Oliver put it, cows don’t care what time it is and we’ve all been unfairly accusing America’s agriculturalists.
The real instigator of the dreaded “spring forward” was Kaiser Wilhelm, who wanted to preserve daylight on the battlefields of World War I. Yes, you lost an hour of sleep thanks to Germany.
While the ritual of moving clocks forward one hour has old roots, the practice continues on the grounds that it conserves energy. However when Indiana instituted Daylight Saving Time it found the opposite to be truem and noted a 1% increase in energy consumption. There are two other areas that show a marked increased as well: researchers found that there is a rise in car accidents and work-related injuries the week after the time change.
Watch the full clip below:
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization