A 19-year-old black man was shot dead Friday during a confrontation with a police officer in Madison, Wisconsin, according to police.
A family spokesman confirmed to NBC affiliate WMTV that the deceased was 19-year-old Tony Robinson, a graduate of Sun Prairie high school.
The shooting took place Friday evening, according to police, and sparked protests including a sit-in at Madison City Hall.
Madison Police Chief Mike Koval said an officer responded to reports of a man walking in traffic and hitting pedestrians, WMTV reported.
Koval said the officer followed the man to a residence, where he…
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow