What will the first Rihanna album in nearly three years sound like? Your guess is as good as anyone’s. Pop music’s most prolific supplier of club-bangers subverted expectations by going acoustic and teaming up with a Beatle on “FourFiveSeconds,” and now, judging by two new Instagram clips of a song called “Higher,” it seems she’s spent the past few years curled up with some 20th century classics (or at least Christina Aguilera’s Back to Basics).
“Let’s pour a drink babe,” a raspy-voiced Rihanna sings over swelling strings, “I hope I ain’t calling you too late.” Of course not, Riri — even after all this time, it’s never too late for a house call.
Especially when she’s got more than one album in the works: in addition to her eighth solo record, she also curated the soundtrack to the animated movie Home, which she has a starring role in. Fans already heard one song from the compilation (expected to feature Charli XCX, Kiesza and Jennifer Lopez), “Towards the Sun,” and now they can hear a non-Instagram preview of another track, “Dancing in the Dark,” which sounds much more like the Rihanna we’re used to.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate