Star Trek actor and beloved social media personality George Takei took out his frustrations online Wednesday, one day after Alabama halted gay marriage licenses.
He and his husband flipped off the state’s Supreme Court—with their ring fingers—after a ruling Tuesday ordered probate judges to stop issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, even though a federal court found the state’s gay marriage ban unconstitutional.
“I’m going to say it,” Takei wrote on Facebook. “Alabama is really starting to p**s me off.” Two hours later, he posted a photo of he and his husband, Brad Takei, giving Alabama the (ring) finger.
“Alabama just gave SCOTUS the finger by halting marriage equality there despite federal orders,” Takei posted. “Couples, let’s respond! Whether gay or straight, post a photo on FB or Twitter giving AL the ‘wedding finger’ and tagging #LuvUAlabama.”
The hashtag quickly spread on Facebook and Twitter, with couples and advocates posting their own pictures.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now