Star Trek actor and beloved social media personality George Takei took out his frustrations online Wednesday, one day after Alabama halted gay marriage licenses.
He and his husband flipped off the state’s Supreme Court—with their ring fingers—after a ruling Tuesday ordered probate judges to stop issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, even though a federal court found the state’s gay marriage ban unconstitutional.
“I’m going to say it,” Takei wrote on Facebook. “Alabama is really starting to p**s me off.” Two hours later, he posted a photo of he and his husband, Brad Takei, giving Alabama the (ring) finger.
“Alabama just gave SCOTUS the finger by halting marriage equality there despite federal orders,” Takei posted. “Couples, let’s respond! Whether gay or straight, post a photo on FB or Twitter giving AL the ‘wedding finger’ and tagging #LuvUAlabama.”
The hashtag quickly spread on Facebook and Twitter, with couples and advocates posting their own pictures.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving