Star Trek actor and beloved social media personality George Takei took out his frustrations online Wednesday, one day after Alabama halted gay marriage licenses.
He and his husband flipped off the state’s Supreme Court—with their ring fingers—after a ruling Tuesday ordered probate judges to stop issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, even though a federal court found the state’s gay marriage ban unconstitutional.
“I’m going to say it,” Takei wrote on Facebook. “Alabama is really starting to p**s me off.” Two hours later, he posted a photo of he and his husband, Brad Takei, giving Alabama the (ring) finger.
“Alabama just gave SCOTUS the finger by halting marriage equality there despite federal orders,” Takei posted. “Couples, let’s respond! Whether gay or straight, post a photo on FB or Twitter giving AL the ‘wedding finger’ and tagging #LuvUAlabama.”
The hashtag quickly spread on Facebook and Twitter, with couples and advocates posting their own pictures.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Eliana Dockterman at firstname.lastname@example.org