An ancient lost city from a mysterious culture has been discovered in the eastern Honduran rain forest.
Legend speaks of a “White City” or “City of the Monkey God” so remote that no one has ever found it, reports National Geographic.
That is until a team of American and Honduran archaeologists returned from deep within the Central American nation’s jungle last week.
The scientists found evidence of settlements and remnants of an unknown civilization that thrived thousands of years ago.
Stone sculptures, ceremonial seats, carved vessels decorated with snakes and other animals made up a cache of 52 artifacts that lay on the surface. Archaeologists believe much more lies below the ground.
- The Biggest Moments From the Second Republican Debate
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time