An ancient lost city from a mysterious culture has been discovered in the eastern Honduran rain forest.
Legend speaks of a “White City” or “City of the Monkey God” so remote that no one has ever found it, reports National Geographic.
That is until a team of American and Honduran archaeologists returned from deep within the Central American nation’s jungle last week.
The scientists found evidence of settlements and remnants of an unknown civilization that thrived thousands of years ago.
Stone sculptures, ceremonial seats, carved vessels decorated with snakes and other animals made up a cache of 52 artifacts that lay on the surface. Archaeologists believe much more lies below the ground.
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer
- What to Know About the Monkeypox Drug TPOXX—And Why It's So Hard to Get
- The Year's Final Supermoon Reminds Us Why We Love the Night Sky
- A Hotter World Means More Disease Outbreaks in Our Future
- How The Sandman Author Neil Gaiman Drew Inspiration From His Nightmares
- Candace Parker Is a Force in Basketball and Beyond
- Dropbox Tossed Out the Workplace Rulebook. Here’s How That’s Working