As Kim Díaz, owner of the bar Entrepanes Díaz, explained the rationale to The Guardian, “I was looking for waiters who are over 50 because I knew they’d be fantastic and because society has unjustly pushed them out of the job market.”
More and more, businesses are doing the same, Money reports. As “age-discrimination charges have fallen for six consecutive years,” companies such as Barclay’s, McKinsey, PwC, and MetLife are doing the same through programs that either seek out or retain older workers.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time