On Thursday, Scottish musician Caitlin McNeill posted a picture of a dress on micro-blogging website Tumblr with the caption “guys please help me — is this dress white and gold, or blue and black? Me and my friends can’t agree and we are freaking the f*** out.”
The Internet freaked out as well, after BuzzFeed posed McNeill’s question to its readers. The post, entitled “What Colors Are This Dress?”, has already been viewed nearly 21 million times and sparked off a heated global debate that saw celebrities, sportspeople and, well, pretty much everyone weighing in.
“What happened was two of my close friends were actually getting married and the mother of the bride took a photo of the dress to send to her daughter,” McNeill, whose band Canach performed at the wedding on the tiny Scottish island of Colonsay, explained to Business Insider. “When my friend showed the dress to her fiancée, they disagreed on the color.”
The band (which McNeill told BuzzFeed almost didn’t make it on stage for their performance because they were so busy arguing about the dress) posted the article to their Facebook page with the caption “It seems like we’ve caused quite the stir online! This is madness!”
Of all the celebrities that tweeted about the dress, McNeill said she’d love to meet Taylor Swift the most. “That would be something,” she told Business Insider.
As for the dress, which she actually saw on the bride’s mother at the wedding: “Obviously it was blue and black.”
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Her Fight for Abortion Access in Michigan
- Inside the War on Fake Consumer Reviews
- Column: Europe's Refugee Crisis Is Going to Get Worse
- How Lawmakers Are Trying to Protect Abortion Data Privacy
- The Surprising Thing That Could Help Ease Inflation
- Finding the American Dream in Canada
- The Safest Sunscreens to Buy—and Which Ingredients to Avoid
- Fact-Checking 8 Claims About Crypto’s Climate Impact
- How Grief Upsets Your Gut Health
- Who Could Replace Boris Johnson As U.K. Prime Minister?