Winter surfaces may be slick with snow, ice, and slush, but these chemical-free solutions will help you walk with confidence in four key danger zones.
An electric doormat melts snow as it falls, at a rate of up to 2 inches per hour to keep up with heavy storms.
HeatTrak 24-by-36-inch mat, from $110; heattrak.com
Before icy weather sets in, add rubberized Ice Breaker Stair Treads to steps. In freezing weather, these cushy mats release ice with a stomp of the foot so that you can brush it away without danger.
Ice Breaker Mats, from $15; vermontcountrystore.com
Sure, ice melts are one way to go. Another: EcoTraction volcanic-mineral granules, which embed into ice to help provide secure footing.
About $18 for a 10-pound bag; amazon.com
Stay steady on your feet with 3M Safety-Walk Slip-Resistant General Purpose Tapes and Treads, which help lend some traction to smooth garage floors that can get slick when ice and snow melt off your car.
About $64 for a 60-foot roll; shop3m.com
More from This Old House:
- How to Get Rid of Ice Dams
- How to Shovel and Salt Packed Snow and Ice
- Read This Before You Insulate Your Attic
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time