Facebook added a fill-in-the-blank option for gender on Thursday that lets users describe their gender identity freely.
“Now, if you do not identify with the pre-populated list of gender identities, you are able to add your own,” Facebook said in a statement.
The update is a step forward in Facebook’s efforts to expand gender identity, which previously included creating 58 options for gender from “cis woman” to “two-spirit” in Feb. 2014.
Google+ similarly unveiled an “infinite” gender category in Dec. 2014, allowing users to describe their gender identity using words of their choice.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms