Jon Stewart finally offered some more insight into why he’s leaving The Daily Show.
He opened his show Wednesday with clips of Republicans reacting to the news of his departure, many of them accusing him of distorting facts. After challenging Fox News to a “lie-off” and playing clips of some of Rush Limbaugh’s more controversial comments, including calling a girl a slut and saying white people shouldn’t feel guilt for slavery, Stewart got to the meat of his argument.
“Take it from someone who’s been watching what they do for a blessedly almost over 16 years or so,” he said. “Their chronically angry war for ideological purity, where every aspect of life becomes a two dimensional battle for America’s soul—it ages you. Even watching it is killing me.”
Watch the full clip below:
See Jon Stewart's Most Memorable Guests On The Daily Show
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Tessa Berenson at tessa.Rogers@time.com