A card game that features exploding kittens and wise goats has raised an astonishing $8.78 million on Kickstarter.
With 219,382 backers, “Exploding Kittens” is the most-backed Kickstarter project ever. It’s also received more funding than any project from the Games category.
Exploding Kittens was created by comic artist Matthew Inman, as well as Elan Lee and Shane Small. The game consists of a deck of cards and is basically a non-deadly version of Russian Roulette: if you draw a card with an detonation-prone kitten, you’re out.
The creators’ goal was a measly $10,000 in funding. Now, the game’s creators will have to ship card decks to more than 200,000 people, Mashable reports.
In a question-and-answer session on Reddit, a commenter asked, “Did you have any idea that this was going to be this big?.” Lee replied, “NOPE.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org