Apple design chief Jony Ive may have played a role in the concept behind the three-pronged lightsaber featured in the trailer for the upcoming Star Wars film, a new profile in the New Yorker suggests.
Ive reportedly told J.J. Abrams, the director of Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens, that the lightsaber would benefit from a redesign to make it “more analog and more primitive.”
“I thought it would be interesting if it were less precise, and just a little bit more spitty,” Ive told the magazine.
Read More: Jonathan Ive Designs Tomorrow
Abrams took the comments to heart even though the suggestion reportedly came at a “boozy” dinner party, the New Yorker reports. Ive said he didn’t suggest adding the two beams at the hilt, which make the lightsaber look somewhat like a three-pronged cross.
Ive is known for his influential role designing Apple products including the iPhone and iPad.
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best TV Shows of 2023 So Far
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk