Apple design chief Jony Ive may have played a role in the concept behind the three-pronged lightsaber featured in the trailer for the upcoming Star Wars film, a new profile in the New Yorker suggests.
Ive reportedly told J.J. Abrams, the director of Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens, that the lightsaber would benefit from a redesign to make it “more analog and more primitive.”
“I thought it would be interesting if it were less precise, and just a little bit more spitty,” Ive told the magazine.
Read More: Jonathan Ive Designs Tomorrow
Abrams took the comments to heart even though the suggestion reportedly came at a “boozy” dinner party, the New Yorker reports. Ive said he didn’t suggest adding the two beams at the hilt, which make the lightsaber look somewhat like a three-pronged cross.
Ive is known for his influential role designing Apple products including the iPhone and iPad.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization