We have met the leader of the Rise of the Machines, and his name is Spot.
Google-owned Boston Dynamics released a YouTube video of its latest robotic endeavor Thursday, and the four-legged, 160 pound, mechanical canine is both borderline adorable and borderline terrifying.
Spot — a smaller version of the company’s aptly named Big Dog — is capable of gracefully (for a robot) running up hills, maneuvering through rough terrain and climbing stairs. And he’s quiet, so you might not see him coming.
The robot also has the ability to self-stabilize, which Boston Dynamics illustrates by video taping employees kicking him in the side. Come on guys, I know you’ve seen enough movies to know you shouldn’t taunt the robots! This is how it all starts!
Granted, if Spot proves to be less vengeful and more benevolent, The Verge points out that he could be useful to assist with search and rescue missions and accessing disaster zones.
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction