We have met the leader of the Rise of the Machines, and his name is Spot.
Spot — a smaller version of the company’s aptly named Big Dog — is capable of gracefully (for a robot) running up hills, maneuvering through rough terrain and climbing stairs. And he’s quiet, so you might not see him coming.
The robot also has the ability to self-stabilize, which Boston Dynamics illustrates by video taping employees kicking him in the side. Come on guys, I know you’ve seen enough movies to know you shouldn’t taunt the robots! This is how it all starts!
Granted, if Spot proves to be less vengeful and more benevolent, The Verge points out that he could be useful to assist with search and rescue missions and accessing disaster zones.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow