The story of Eddie Huang’s life is being broadcast to millions of people. And after months of gearing up for the ABC premiere of Fresh Off the Boat — a sitcom based around a Chinese family living in Orlando — Huang says the people most uncomfortable with it aren’t even Asian.
“There’s always white people tweeting me saying, ‘This is so offensive! This is a racist show!'” he explained. “And I’m like — ‘I don’t know if you know any of us, because it’s not racist.'”
But he doesn’t lay claim to being an authority on his race. “Just because I’m Asian doesn’t mean I can speak about everything in Asian America. I can only speak about the things I know.”
Watch Eddie Huang’s take on race and identity in America in the video above.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time