The family of Robin Williams is locked in a disagreement over his estate almost six months after the Oscar-winning actor committed suicide at the age of 63.
Court documents from December and January reveal disputes over money, property and personal belongings between Williams’ widow and third wife, Susan Schneider Williams, and his three children from two previous marriages, the New York Times reports.
Documents from Zak (31), Zelda (25) and Cody (23) say they are “heartbroken” that Susan Schneider Williams, who married Robin Williams in 2011, has “acted against his wishes by challenging the plans he so carefully made for his estate.” Their claims are in response to papers Williams’ lawyers filed in December outlining the parts of the estate she claims she is entitled to.
While the actor’s estate set up a separate trust for Susan Schneider Williams that includes among other things their Tiburon, Calif., home and “all costs related to the residence,” the children believe her request for “all expenses associated with daily upkeep as well as unexpected renovations and improvements” is pushing for more funds and a sign of “greed.” There is also disagreement over which of the actor’s personal memorabilia belong to which trust.
“Mr. Williams wanted his wife to be able to stay in her home and not be disrupted in her life with her children,” Jim Wagstaffe, a lawyer for Susan Schneider Williams, told the Times. “Compared to what the Williams children were set to receive from their father, this is a bucket of water in a lake.”
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out