Ever wondered if there was an actual human being behind AOL’s iconic “You’ve Got Mail” recording? Well, there is! A real, living, breathing human being named Elwood Edwards recorded that classic phrase—along with “Welcome” and “File’s done!” and “Goodbye.”
Comedian Jim Breuer tracked Edwards down at Cleveland’s WKYC Channel 3, where he works as an editor and graphics supervisor. Breuer graciously recorded a short video so we could all hear Edward’s story—and hear him utter that simple phrase that altered the course of pop culture forever.
(h/t The AV Club)
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was