Ellen Degeneres took a moment during her daily talk show to respond to a recent op-ed written for The Christian Post that outlined a “gay agenda” promoted by Hollywood. In the post, Christian author Larry Tomczak cites DeGeneres as an example of Hollywood “promoting homosexuality.”
“Ellen DeGeneres celebrates her lesbianism and ‘marriage’ in between appearances of guests like Taylor Swift to attract young girls,” he wrote.
Her retort was a response only the comedian could pull off. After jokingly dismissing the claims made in the post, DeGeneres made it clear that her only goal is to promote compassion and self-acceptance.
“The only way I’m trying to influence people is to be more kind and compassionate with one another,” she said. “That is the message I’m sending out. I don’t have an agenda.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com