Neither Western sanctions nor Ukrainian protests have stopped Russia from annexing Crimea, so now a group of women in Ukraine are trying a different approach.
They have launched a campaign to deny Russian men sex, Foreign Policy Magazine reports, and sport t-shirts with a suggestively clasped pair of hands and the slogan: “Don’t give it to a Russian.”
The t-shirts are being sold on the group’s Facebook page (which is only in Ukrainian), and the revenue will go to the Ukrainian army.
The tactic of withholding sex goes as far back as Ancient Greece, where women banded together in chastity until men stopped fighting and started negotiating (with varying degrees of success). In modern times, there have been similar campaigns in Kenya and Liberia.
The Ukrainian campaign has gone viral on the Russian Internet, where predictably users are trolling and mocking the group.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time