Neither Western sanctions nor Ukrainian protests have stopped Russia from annexing Crimea, so now a group of women in Ukraine are trying a different approach.
They have launched a campaign to deny Russian men sex, Foreign Policy Magazine reports, and sport t-shirts with a suggestively clasped pair of hands and the slogan: “Don’t give it to a Russian.”
The t-shirts are being sold on the group’s Facebook page (which is only in Ukrainian), and the revenue will go to the Ukrainian army.
The tactic of withholding sex goes as far back as Ancient Greece, where women banded together in chastity until men stopped fighting and started negotiating (with varying degrees of success). In modern times, there have been similar campaigns in Kenya and Liberia.
The Ukrainian campaign has gone viral on the Russian Internet, where predictably users are trolling and mocking the group.
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- The 'Dopamine Detox' Is Having a Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- What NASA Can Teach SpaceX About Protecting the Environment
- The Best Movies of 2023 So Far