Sometimes it’s easy to forget that before he was a serious actor with a serious actor Oscar and a serious actor beard, Matthew McConaughey was just another handsome twenty-something from Texas. Of course, everything changed once he landed his breakout role in Richard Linklater’s 1993 film Dazed and Confused, in which he played slightly-creepy stoner David Wooderson.
Now, thanks to a new release from the Criterion Collection, we can all enjoy McConaughey’s original audition tape for that part. Watch the clip, which features quite a bit of fake driving, above. Then, watch the full scene as it appeared in the film:
Alright, alright, alright.
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time