Sometimes it’s easy to forget that before he was a serious actor with a serious actor Oscar and a serious actor beard, Matthew McConaughey was just another handsome twenty-something from Texas. Of course, everything changed once he landed his breakout role in Richard Linklater’s 1993 film Dazed and Confused, in which he played slightly-creepy stoner David Wooderson.
Now, thanks to a new release from the Criterion Collection, we can all enjoy McConaughey’s original audition tape for that part. Watch the clip, which features quite a bit of fake driving, above. Then, watch the full scene as it appeared in the film:
Alright, alright, alright.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State