Macklemore — excuse me, Mucklemore — stopped by Sesame Street to join the Grouches for a “Thrift Shop” parody that, at times, is near indistinguishable from his actual hit song.
While famous musicians have stopped by the children’s program before to teach them valuable lessons and impart important advice, the take-away from the Seattle rapper’s guest appearance is not so clear. Consider a future career as a garbageman or garbagewoman? Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty? Always keep an eye out for a bargain, even if it’s actual trash?
Either way, he deserves props for the reworked hook — “This is gross and awesome” — which manages to both sanitize the original not-so-child-friendly lyrics and embrace what some viewers are probably already thinking.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Nolan Feeney at firstname.lastname@example.org