The Hollywood Foreign Press Association has a history of honoring fresh, new talent during the Golden Globes, so it’s not a total surprise that star of one of television’s most promising new shows, Jane the Virgin’s Gina Rodriguez, won the award for Best Actress, Musical or Comedy.
But in a competitive category going up against Edie Falco and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Rodriguez wasn’t a shoe-in — which makes her emotional acceptance speech all the more endearing.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now