Three suspects were in custody Tuesday in connection with the shooting of two plainclothes police officers in New York City’s Bronx borough on Monday night, as the city reels from last month’s fatal shootings of two on-duty officers.
The alleged shooter, whose identity has not yet been released publicly, is one of the three men held in custody, CNN reports, citing an unnamed law enforcement official.
The two officers, Andrew Dossi, 30, and Aliro Pellerano, 38, were out of uniform at the time of the shooting Monday night and were among five “anti-crime officers” responding to a call about an armed robbery, NBC New York reported. Dossi is reportedly in critical condition following surgery, while Pellerano is in stable condition.
Mayor Bill de Blasio held a joint news conference with New York City Police Commissioner William Bratton early Tuesday morning, praising the officers for their service to the city.
He called the shootings “another indicator of the dangers our officers face while they’re on duty” and said the city would support them as they recover.
“As always, the city of New York and the NYPD will be with them through this challenge and as these officers recover,” de Blasio said.
The shooting comes as the city and its police force are still reeling from the slayings of officers Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos, who were gunned down in their vehicle in Brooklyn last month. Since that shooting, police union leaders and some officers have accused the Mayor of stoking anti-police sentiment. At the funerals for both Liu and Ramos, officers turned their backs on de Blasio as he spoke.