A Massachusetts police officer accidentally killed a college student in Chatham, Cape Cod, on Thursday, running over him as he lay in the road while responding to an emergency call.
Police said it is not known why Garrett Gagne was lying prone in the street at 4 a.m. or what his condition was at that point, the Associated Press reported.
Gagne, 22, a senior and student athlete at New York’s St. Lawrence University, was reportedly in Chatham to celebrate New Year’s Eve with his friends.
The officer, who has yet to be identified, immediately called for help on realizing he had hit Gagne, authorities said.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space