Cheryl Semien is a cashier at Whataburger in Liberty, Texas. On Wednesday, Dec. 17, she was working at 10 a.m., which is kind of a shame, because it was her birthday.
When a customer came into the drive-thru at Semien’s Whataburger wearing a mink coat, Semien casually complimented her, telling her she thought her coat was beautiful.
“She was a perfect stranger. I didn’t know this lady from nowhere,” Semien told ABC affiliate KTRK. “I didn’t see her come through my drive-thru window as long as I’ve been at Whataburger, for nine years.”
The woman’s response to Semien’s compliment? She took off her coat and gave it to Semien, passing it through the drive-thru window.
KTRK eventually caught up with the woman, who asked only to be identified as Nadine. “The lady said, ‘That’s a beautiful coat,’ and she was so sweet,” Nadine told the station. “So I took it off and handed it to her,” she said, adding that the gesture “felt right.”
“She didn’t ask for it,” Nadine added. “But she would have loved to have had one.”
For a kicker, she disclosed the coat’s value to KTRK): $10,000. “I do fun things,” she said of her gesture. “It makes me happy.”
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time