Cheryl Semien is a cashier at Whataburger in Liberty, Texas. On Wednesday, Dec. 17, she was working at 10 a.m., which is kind of a shame, because it was her birthday.
When a customer came into the drive-thru at Semien’s Whataburger wearing a mink coat, Semien casually complimented her, telling her she thought her coat was beautiful.
“She was a perfect stranger. I didn’t know this lady from nowhere,” Semien told ABC affiliate KTRK. “I didn’t see her come through my drive-thru window as long as I’ve been at Whataburger, for nine years.”
The woman’s response to Semien’s compliment? She took off her coat and gave it to Semien, passing it through the drive-thru window.
KTRK eventually caught up with the woman, who asked only to be identified as Nadine. “The lady said, ‘That’s a beautiful coat,’ and she was so sweet,” Nadine told the station. “So I took it off and handed it to her,” she said, adding that the gesture “felt right.”
“She didn’t ask for it,” Nadine added. “But she would have loved to have had one.”
For a kicker, she disclosed the coat’s value to KTRK): $10,000. “I do fun things,” she said of her gesture. “It makes me happy.”
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022