1) Get rid of the distractions
You can’t multitask.
All those buzzing text messages and email chimes can reduce mental ability by an average of 10 IQ points. For men, it’s about three times the effect of smoking marijuana.
2) Get your sleep
If you’ve missed sleep, you’ve reduced your intelligence.
Think you’re just fine cheating yourself on sleep? Of course you do. But you’re wrong.
What if you can’t get a good night’s sleep but need to learn new info? Even naps can help:
3) Performance enhancing drugs for your brain
No, they’re not anabolic steroids. It’s caffeine, sugar and nicotine. Coffee and nicotine make you smarter.
Via Mind Performance Hacks: Tips & Tools for Overclocking Your Brain by the excellent Vaughan Bell:
4) Keep Learning
You always hear that doing puzzles can help stave off dementia. In reality, those aren’t nearly enough to keep your brain sharp. But the principle holds.
Want to keep your mind powerful? Do something that really forces you to stretch yourself:
- Numerous studies have shown learning another language is good for your brain.
- There’s a lot of evidence that learning to play music can make you smarter. (Listening to classical music might increase your IQ as well.)
- Or learn a new skill.
5) Believe in yourself
Want to be smarter? The first step is to believe that you can become smarter:
Surround yourself with people who believe in you and you’ll perform better:
- How To Stop Being Lazy And Get More Done – 5 Expert Tips
- What 10 things should you do every day to improve your life?
- How To Make Your Life Better By Sending Five Simple Emails