Christmas Eve is a moment of great drama in the movies. It’s the night on which Rudolph proves his merit to Santa Claus, leading the reindeer through the skies with his glowing nose. It’s also the night on which John McClane, played by Bruce Willis, takes on a gang of terrorists who have taken his wife hostage. Die Hard and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer may have little else in common beyond this fateful date, but it was enough of a connection to convince Film Geekery to mash the two together. Depending on how you look at it, the mashup is either a violent retelling of the Christmas classic or a touching, softer version of the 1988 action blockbuster.
The mashup, titled “Rudolph: Fly Hard,” matches the audio from the Die Hard trailer with strategically edited visuals from the 1964 Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer TV special. McClane, naturally, is Rudolph, the ice-cold evil of Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) is revived in the form of Sam the Snowman, and Sgt. Al Powell (Reginald VelJohnson a.k.a. the dad from Family Matters) becomes Yukon Cornelius the gold prospector. It’s worth a watch it if only to hear the words “yippie-ki-yay” come out of cute little Rudolph’s reindeer mouth.
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time