Cuba Gooding Jr. has been cast as O.J. Simpson in the first season of FX’s new series American Crime Story, which takes as its subject the 1995 murder trial of the infamous ex-footballer.
This will be the Academy Award–winning actor’s first lead role in a TV series, the Wall Street Journal reports.
Sarah Paulson, of American Horror Story, has been cast as prosecutor Marcia Clark in the debut season, which is entitled The People vs. O.J. Simpson and reportedly hews close to Jeffrey Toobin’s 1996 book on the trial The Run of His Life.
Producer Ryan Murphy, who co-created Glee and American Horror Story, said the new series does not yet have an official premier date but might debut in January 2016. Each season, he says, will dramatize trials that transfixed the public in real life.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Elizabeth Barber at firstname.lastname@example.org