From inside jokes to political movements, it’s been a busy year on Twitter.
With 2014 drawing to a close, the popular micro-blogging service released its top 10 political moments early Wednesday to coincide with a broader look-back on the last 12 months.
In February, Secretary of State John Kerry re-joined Twitter, a year after his confirmation to the role.
In June, the Central Intelligence Agency joined the service with a message that would be the most retweeted government/political tweet of the year, according to Twitter.
According to Twitter, the @FLOTUS tweet is her most RT’d tweet ever and generated 9 million impressions and 4 million embedded Tweet impressions. There were 4.5 million tweets with the hashtag in 2014.
Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby used Twitter for the first time ever to announce the beginning of military operations against the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria.
According to Twitter, more than 4 million tweets mentioned the disease in 2014, and one spreading the facts about how the disease spreads was the most-RT’d tweet from the @WhiteHouse account
For the second year in a row, former White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer live-tweeted his experiences on the 13th anniversary of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 this year, drawing thousands of retweets.
President Barack Obama’s decision to wear a tan suit to a press conference discussing his strategy to combat ISIS becomes instant fodder for Twitter mockery.
The former Secretary of State responds to a late night hosts’s Halloween costume.
Lawmakers’ tweets marked the World Cup and other 2014 sporting events.
Photos from space captivated social media this year, with NASA Astronaut Reid Wiseman’s inaugural vine from space being played more than 9 million times in 2014.
First Lady Michelle Obama’s PSA for healthy eating scored more than 36 million loops.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating