The hacking of vast amounts of internal Sony data continues to generate headlines. On Dec. 8, the aliases of nearly a dozen Hollywood celebrities were leaked. That is in addition to unreleased films, employee salaries, scripts, and other sensitive documents spilling out online. The hackers responsible are reportedly making increasingly threatening demands on the company.
The episode is likely to continue given the sheer volume of data obtained. And that may be the most significant aspect of the leak itself. According to security expert Brian Krebs, the scope of the breach is enormous:
To get a sense of the size, consider this filetree posted by Krebs, included in the leaked data. It’s not juicy like a celebrity’s secret code name or the musing of Sony employees about Adam Sandler’s career. But this mere skeleton of some of the information stolen is shocking in its scope.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time