A knife-wielding assailant who burst into a Brooklyn synagogue and injured one student was fatally shot by police Tuesday morning.
Police have not yet determined the suspect’s motive, but said the 49-year-old assailant “has a history of being an emotionally disturbed person and acting out,” CNN reports.
The attacker stormed into the synagogue around 1 a.m., while students were holding a late night study session. One 22-year-old student, Levi Rosenblatt, suffered a cut to the neck before a police officer arrived on the scene.
Cell phone footage of the attack shows the officer ordering the man to drop the knife. The man appears to comply, before he reportedly picked up the knife and lunged for another attack.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org