Chris Rock has some thoughts on race relations in America: they’re a myth.
In a wide-ranging cover interview with New York Magazine’s Frank Rich, the comedian and film director addressed race in the Obama era saying, “when we talk about race relations in America or racial progress, it’s all nonsense.”
Rock continues, “There are no race relations. White people were crazy. Now they’re not as crazy. To say that black people have made progress would be to say they deserve what happened to them before.”
Rock has long been an outspoken on race, and race relations in America. In the interview, he compares the relationship between blacks and whites in America to Tina Turner’s abusive marriage to Ike Turner.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time