Chris Rock has some thoughts on race relations in America: they’re a myth.
In a wide-ranging cover interview with New York Magazine’s Frank Rich, the comedian and film director addressed race in the Obama era saying, “when we talk about race relations in America or racial progress, it’s all nonsense.”
Rock continues, “There are no race relations. White people were crazy. Now they’re not as crazy. To say that black people have made progress would be to say they deserve what happened to them before.”
MORE: The One Battle Michael Brown’s Family Will Win
Rock has long been an outspoken on race, and race relations in America. In the interview, he compares the relationship between blacks and whites in America to Tina Turner’s abusive marriage to Ike Turner.
Read the whole interview at New York
Read next: From ESSENCE’s Editor: Ferguson’s Emotional Aftermath
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best TV Shows of 2023 So Far
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk