This Thanksgiving I give thanks for my Brooklyn toddlers.
Less than a week ago our little grand-twins, Ona and Floyd, celebrated their third birthday. Loretta and I were blessed to be there when they were born and since then we have been a sappy, doting family that thinks nothing of showing the same cellphone photos of their happy childhood to one another over and over.
Their arrival reaffirmed the promise of life. It helped us to value again the importance of family and to throw ourselves completely into this new world of our little princess Elsa and Spiderman. And it creates an outsized pride in our daughter and son-in-law who have turned out to be the best parents one could hope for.
As we watch these children flourish with every book that is read to them and every act of love that builds their foundations in life, we give thanks and say a prayer that each of us can help to create a world where every child is blessed with the promise of happiness.
Dick Durbin is the senior United States Senator from Illinois and the Assistant Majority Leader.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time