Adorable robots were no match for old friends at the box office this weekend.
Two decades after the first Farrelly brothers film hit theaters, Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels reunited for Dumb and Dumber To, which beat out previous box-office victor Big Hero 6 for the No. 1 spot, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The sequel took in $38.1 million in North America, while Disney’s animated superhero movie came in second place with $36 million, according to preliminary Sunday grosses. (Finalized numbers are expected Monday).
Christopher Nolan’s space epic Interstellar fell to third with $29.2 million this weekend, but its worldwide gross surpassed $300 million on Sunday when it hit $321.9 million. The film is performing very well overseas, particularly in China and on Imax screens.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart