With the holidays right around the corner, parents can now buy their children an untraditional yet socially relevant gift: The “Case-E Ebola Nurse Action Figure.”
Herobuilders.com made the toy of an Ebola-free nurse with curly hair and a red “x” sewed over her eye, who bears a strong resemblance to Kaci Hickox, the nurse who made headlines for fighting New Jersey and Maine over their controversial quarantine policy for those returning from Ebola affected countries.
“I don’t know who you’re talking about, I don’t know who Kaci Hickox is,” Hero Builders president Emil Vicale tells TIME, laughing. “This nurse’s name is Case-E. She bears no resemblance.”
Here’s Kaci Hickox:
The toy, which comes complete with an Ebola-free certificate, went on sale for $29.99 Monday morning.
“We held out and tried not to make this Ebola thing, but the story just won’t go away,” Vicale says. “So it’s like we’re being pushed to make this toy.”
Herobuilders.com also sells dolls of the World’s Sexiest Criminal and Rob Ford, complete with beer bottle accessories.
This isn’t the first Ebola-related toy to make headlines. Connecticut manufacturer Giantmicrobes Inc sold out of its plush Ebola dolls and Ebola petri dish toys in late October.
Vicale says that only 500 of the Ebola nurse dolls will be available before the holidays. It will be on sale again come January.
“Who knew Ebola would get my blood boiling?” he says. “Get it?”
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction