Updated: 6:45 a.m. Eastern
A police officer and a teacher are dead after a shooter stormed into a high school on the northern fringes of Moscow and took students hostage, according to the Associated Press and Reuters. The shooter, a 10th-grade student at the school, gunned down his 76-year-old geography teacher and later fired upon police officers who responded to the incident, killing one and wounding another.
No students in School No. 263, which educates children from first through eleventh grades, were injured. But local news outlets said that more than 15 students were held at gunpoint in a biology classroom before being released. The remainder of students in the school were evacuated.
According to Russia Today, the gunman is now in custody.
This post has been updated to reflect new details revealed by police.
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time