Updated: 6:45 a.m. Eastern
A police officer and a teacher are dead after a shooter stormed into a high school on the northern fringes of Moscow and took students hostage, according to the Associated Press and Reuters. The shooter, a 10th-grade student at the school, gunned down his 76-year-old geography teacher and later fired upon police officers who responded to the incident, killing one and wounding another.
No students in School No. 263, which educates children from first through eleventh grades, were injured. But local news outlets said that more than 15 students were held at gunpoint in a biology classroom before being released. The remainder of students in the school were evacuated.
According to Russia Today, the gunman is now in custody.
This post has been updated to reflect new details revealed by police.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer